Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Our second Hajj, insya Allah

I went to Tabung Haji this morning, while Ryan was taking his morning nap.  I have been postponing this trip like forever, although TH is only 5-minute drive away.  Someone in school told me you can only register for 2nd-time Hajj 9 years after your first, so that's one of the reasons of my dally-dallying. The fact is only 5-year wait is needed - as told by the TH officer this morning.

Daddy went to TH alone to register for our first Hajj, back in Kulim in 1999.  Iman was 1-month-old at the time.  We were scheduled for Hajj in 2008.  Perfect, we thought, Kushairy would have finished his SPM by then, and would be old enough to look after the little ones.

But Allah had a better-than-perfect plan.  Our first Hajj was in Jan 2003.  We had to leave our youngest, 2y3m-old Dayana and 3y7m-old Iman with Bibik Asniar at my Mom's in Ipoh, 7-y-o Sarah in Pandan Indah with my lil sis Noi (Noi was a year-1 teacher Seri Bintang Utara at the time and Sarah was starting year 1) and UPSR candidate Kushairy with our good neighbor in Kulim.  Leaving the kids scattered here and there for 45 day was almost unbearable.

 While waiting for my turn at TH just now, my mind was twirling and thinking of the people I would have to approach to help me with the kids, especially Ryan, when we are in Mecca.

And guess what.. this time we are scheduled to go for Hajj in 2037.  Hmm.. I guess I didn't have to worry about the babysitting arrangements after all.. Ryan will be 27 by then.

I texted Daddy to tell him of our 'luck'.  Daddy texted back, "And I'll be a 70- year old man! .. and you'll be a sexy 68- year old lady..."

Funny eh.. here I am, being so wrapped up about my children's wellbeing, forgetting that in 26 years' time I might not have what it takes to make that trip.  Daddy's text, though sounded playful, is a serious reminder that I should consider ourselves to be very lucky if we could ever set foot in Holy Mecca/ Medina again.

No comments:

Post a Comment