Thursday, September 9, 2010

Raya Eve 1431

My nasi impit is cooling on the kitchen counter.  Finally, finished cooking for raya.  There's takbir on channel 106, very soothing.  Ryan is falling asleep in my lap.  I just performed Isya' with I'zzah.  The rest of the kids are with Daddy.  Daddy is not back from the mosque yet.  I'm hoping to perform witr and takbir with Daddy.

I have been up since 4:10 am.  My Raya prep started after subuh prayer, by going to Pasar Borong and Pasar Tani with Daddy and Ryan. Bought the necessary stuff to cook beef rendang kunyit, kuah kacang, acar rampai, and nasi biryani for tomorrow.  This is in addition to what my mom's preparing, soto and bihun sup.  Lemang has been pre-ordered.  Rendang tok, ketupat, acar buah and serunding has been bought, ready-made. For our last iftar of the year we had sup tulang, fresh salad and pecal.  Today's kuih is cucur sayur - taugeh, bawang and kucai mixed together in smooth batter- at Daddy's request.  Today's fruits are guava and water apples with kuah rojak. Except for the nap I took before Zohor, I have been cooking nonstop since coming home from the pasar.

I am very happy that we managed to avoid going to Pasar Ramadhan again this year.  It is the second year in the row now.  We kept away from Pasar Ramadhan last year because of the H1N1 scare and my pregnancy.  It was hard at first but it gets easier this year, especially since I only work for 3 short days this Ramadhan.  Home-cooked meals are definitely the best, according to Daddy and the kids.  The kids help with the dishes and setting up the table.  Daddy helps by sitting close enough to the kitchen, chatting me up.

Today Daddy 'helps' while burning CDs of the antics of the kids some 10 years ago.  Daddy was editing the videos taken when I was pregnant  with Dayana in Chandler, Arizona.  Kushairy and Sarah were still chubby then, and Iman was learning to make sentences.  My mom looked so young in the video, but I looked old and tired, despite being only 30.  Having babies back to back really took a toll on me.  I love watching the video taken at the hospital, after the delivery.  At least then, I looked glowing. Fifteen-month old Iman couldn't get enough of her new baby sister, Dayana.  Sarah was talking nonstop.  Kushairy was trying his best to be a mature brother to his 3 little sisters.

My nasi impit is already cooled.  All set for Eid Mubarak.

No comments:

Post a Comment