Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Early birthday gift

I am writing on my birthday present. A red Samsung notebook. There was absolutely no need to buy this laptop at all. My HP still works fine. But it is my birthday month and my hubby is being his usual self, giving me things that I want long before I need them. I still have the sewing machine that can do 21 embroideries he bought for my birthday last year which I plan to use again some time in this decade. Two years ago, he bought me a pink phone that 'can slide' before I ever figured out how to take pictures with my old phone. An LV wristlet he bought in Denmark that was way too expensive to take to work. A diamond studded wrist watch he bought in Japan when my old Casio was still ticking faithfully. Five packets of premium coffee he bought in Costa Rica, back when I was struggling to quit caffein addiction. And the HP PDA that he bought for me in July 2000, when I was a housewife in Arizona, is still sitting pretty in its box. ( Ok.. I am the least tech-savvy person around.. and proud of it)
Thank God he never complains about the tie I gave him every year.
There was no card, note or message that went along with this present- which is quite a surprise actually. He is quite a writer, I tell you. You should see him at his desk - clicking away nonstop till wee hours in the morning. He reads, writes and rewrites his research papers and gets them published every month or so.
He got home last Sunday after sending Kushairy to the bus station, bearing a plastic bag containing a box and a knapsack. The knapsack contained 17 goodies from the vendor - including CD writer, mouse, mouse pad, laptop skin, LCD cleaner etc. The box contained .. what else.. my new red-hot notebook. He simply said, "your present." Nothing else. But I think he meant to say," keep blogging dear.."
That's the problem when you are married to a man with few (spoken) words. You constantly interpret his few words into essays in your head. And of course I tend to shape the essays into things I'd like to hear and eventually write.
I believe my husband likes it that I write in my blog, and hence my early birthday present. Spending time typing my inner thoughts in front of the computer means spending less time yapping and nagging in front of him. Smart move on his part. I remember there were times early in our marriage that said to me, "you should write a book, Ly." I was still too young and naive to understand that what he meant was, "you talk too much, dear".I know eventually he will read the things I write - in his own sweet time - and writing them now releases my tension and lets me move on with the house chores rather freely, without getting too hung up about the time when he finally gets home from work.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ... nice one.....

    i think my hubby gives me birthday presents everyday.... finally came to this realization after almost 20 years of being married to him.....
    -folding clothes without being asked even after 2 hour badminton game..
    -washing his own plate and others in the sink....
    -cooking dinner so effortlessly
    -smile when i told him i bumped and scratched his car....
    -buying food he doesn't like but i do...
    -entertaining my dad, patiently listening to stories told countless times b4...
    -"u got money? here take some.." moments...=)
    -his 'I tak kisah, up to you" style of decison making.. another =)
    -etc....

    Hope he won't have time to read this...might inflate his manly ego too much....

    ReplyDelete
  2. One very wise lady wrote this on her FB status update:

    Beruntung dia yang menemui teman sejati dalam hidup ini , yang menghargai dan mensyukuri kelebihan yang ada.... namun pada masa yang sama redha dengan segala kekurangan dan menerima seadanya........

    I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete